A CITY BECOMES A WORK OF ART
Partnering with over 80 arts and community organizations and hundreds of local, regional, national and international artists each year, FestivALL, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is considered a premiere arts collaborator of Charleston, West Virginia. FestivALL is city-wide and multi-arts and serves its mission through its 10-day June FestivALL, FestivALL Preview in May, an October weekend FestivALL Fall and other programming throughout the year. Each year FestivALL includes over 100 events, performances and exhibitions from music, theatre, dance, visual art, humanities and more. These events take place in over 30 indoor and outdoor venues, and many events are free or low cost.
"It’s a place and event where you can stroll and be happy, where you can look at art, hear music, watch street performers, and just mingle with people. You never quite know what treat will be up the street, what sight will bring delight.' - - Wonderful West Virginia magazine
The mission of FestivALL Charleston is to create and sustain a community with comprehensive and robust arts and entertainment opportunities, which attract tourists and serve as an economic development tool and catalytic force in uniting and stimulating local artists and arts groups.
WHAT WE DO
FestivALL is know for it's mult-arts, multi-venue summer festival and mini fall festival when a "City becomes a Work of Art", but how else does FestivALL contribute to its community and the local and state economies?
- A City Becomes a Creative Destination and Home: FestivALL helps create a lively city environment where entrepreneurs, artists and families want to visit, live, work and play. It’s become a time for homecomings, reunions and inviting friends to visit.
- A City’s Children Become Achievers: FestivALL provides educational opportunities for young people such as the Art-for-ALL children’s juried art exhibition, the Neighborhood Arts Program and summer internships as well as informative panels and seminars for adults.
- A City’s Economy Becomes Robust: The arts are an essential part of Charleston’s identity and FestivALL showcases Charleston as a unique and desirable place to visit, contributing to the financial growth of artists and area businesses.
HOW WE OPERATE
FestivALL directly produces some events, co-produces some events and presents some events that are produced by other individuals and organizations. It includes visual arts, music, theater, dance and film as well as other cultural and entertainment events. It mixes fine arts and pop arts in venues and locations all over Charleston and includes a wide variety of styles and genres. Main Events are: The Mayor’s Concert, Festiv-ALT concert, The Capitol Street Art Fair/Children's Art Fair/Library Street Fair, productions by the Charleston Light Opera Guild, Mountain Stage, Smoke on the Water Chili Cook-Off, Dance Gala, Wine & All That Jazz, riverboat rides, major theatre productions and international talent.
WHAT DO OTHERS SAY
- “Charleston has all the great parts of a big city with small city charm” - attendee survey 2014
- “FestivALL has opened doors for me through the people I've met and the activities I've done during and for FestivALL. It has brought the art community together in a way that makes everyone aware of the arts that are available.” - local artist
- “As a public artist, FestivALL has given me opportunities to show my work and involve the public in art events. As a teacher, it has given me ways to involve students in community arts.” - local public school teacher
- “[FestivALL] embodies the best of what the city has to offer to residents and tourists alike. FestivALL makes Charleston a unique and desirable place to visit and that makes our city vibrant and financially sustainable.” - Alisa Bailey, CEO of the Charleston Convention and Visitors Bureau
- “I look forward to FestivALL all year!" - attendee survey 2014