Art-For-ALL Juried Student Art Exhibition Info and Application
Art-for-ALL Kids’ Juried Exhibition
June 16-29, 2019
Clay Center for the Arts & Sciences Lobby
About Art-for-ALL: The purpose of the exhibition is to provide a forum for student artists to display their work and to recognize excellence. As FestivALL celebrates its 15th year in 2019, the exhibition will be held in the lobby of the Clay Center during the first 14 days of FestivALL and will be free and open to the public. A slide show of accepted works will be displayed on the websites or Facebook pages of FestivALL Charleston and/or the Clay Center.
Summary of Schedule & Deadlines are as follows:
- May 22: Deadline to submit work and required information by application form.
- May 27-31: Jurying of work.
- June 3: Notifications of whether work is accepted or not.
- By June 10: Drop off of work for exhibition to central collection point.
- June 16-29: Exhibit open during hours when the Clay Center lobby is open. (These are the days of FestivALL Charleston, which extends to June 30th – see the website, www.festivallcharleston.com, for a schedule of events.)
- June 29: Reception and awards ceremony from 3-4:30 pm at the Clay Center. Awards ceremony starts at 3:30 pm.
- June 29-30: The Capitol Street Art Fair and Children’s Art Fair are held on June 29 between 10 am and 6 pm and on June 30 between 11 am and 5 pm. These are free events that include make-and-take activities for children, a children’s art sale by Charleston neighborhood programs, performance stages, and street performers.
- After July 1: Return/pick-up of left over work from collection point.
Jurying for Art-for-ALL is open to all children in grades pre-K through 6th grade in Boone, Braxton, Cabell, Clay, Fayette, Greenbrier, Jackson, Kanawha, Lincoln, Nicholas, Putnam, Raleigh and Roane counties. Each child may submit one entry. Children may also go together to submit a single piece, this means that a child can only submit either one individually made piece OR one group piece. Work needs to have been completed after January 1, 2018.
Entries must be original works in the following categories:
- 2-D, including painting, drawing, photography, collage, mixed media, printing, and graphic arts
- 3-D, including sculpture, pottery, woodcrafts, glass, jewelry, textiles, mixed media, and constructions with recycled materials
- Video, with a maximum of five minutes per video submitted
Accepted 2-D works need to be on a firm backing, e.g. cardboard or poster board, using double-sided tape or other fasteners, not glue. Frames and mats are optional. 3-D works need to be sturdy and stable and/or secured to a base. Photography must be translated into a clear print that does justice to the image. Size is not a consideration – these prints may be small as long as they are clear, on good paper, and mounted on firm backing.
- Submit work by May 22, 2019, in the application form at the following URL: https://goo.gl/forms/jJK1F2vZE7pPXatk1. OR find the link at festivallcharleston.com/info.
- Use a jpeg file no larger than 10 MB (generally any automatic photo size will work) in your upload to show the work of art. Photographs taken with a phone are acceptable; this is just for the jury to be able to look at all the work for awards as well as to post on Facebook for the Facebook People’s Choice Award.
- In the application form, you will be asked to include an image file of the artwork, the full name of the child, grade of the child in which they created the artwork, name of school/program that the child attends or indicate if home-schooled, the name of the parent/guardian or teacher submitting the work, email address, telephone number, and postal address. (If, for some reason, the Google Form does not work for you, then please send ALL of this above information in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the child’s name and the school/program name as the subject header.)
- Please double check spelling of names!
- Note that by submitting the work, the child and parent(s) agree to its inclusion in the slide show and the exhibition and to its use in promotional materials. The name and school of the child will be included unless other arrangements are made with the school/program and/or producer of the art fairs.
- Work that is accepted for the exhibition will require a printed copy of a permission slip signed by the child and the parent(s) and kept on file by the school or program, unless the parent submits the piece directly. There is no standard form for this permission slip. This if for your records.
Selection of Work:
A jury consisting of the exhibition producer and one artist from each county, where feasible, will meet by the end of May to select work for the exhibition. By June 3, 2019, all applicants will be sent an email notifying them if their work is selected or not. Directions will be given for delivering pieces of work that are accepted for exhibition to a central collection point at our new FestivALL office at 1031 Quarrier Street, Suite C in downtown Charleston. The final deliveries are due by June 10, 2019. FestivALL Charleston will arrange to bring the work to the Clay Center.
*These are tight time frames, so please submit work ahead of May 22, whenever possible.*
Reception and Awards:
An opening reception and awards ceremony will be held at the Clay Center on Saturday, June 29, 2019, from 3-4:30 pm. Awards will be presented at 3:30 pm. All artists, their family and friends, and the public are invited to this celebration. All children whose work is exhibited at the Clay Center will be recognized with a certificate. In addition, ribbons will be given for excellence and merit at each grade level, and two People’s Choice awards will be given at the end of the reception based on votes by people who vote on Facebook and by votes placed by paper ballots at the exhibition. A small number of gift cards will be given along with the top awards, complements of the Owens Fellowship Fund.
Return of Work:
On July 1st the left over work will be returned to the central collection point at the FestivALL office, where arrangements may be made to pick it up. We allow the students and teachers to take home their artwork on the day of the awards ceremony, after the program has ended, however, you will be asked to check in when you arrive and check out as you leave and notify us that you are taking the artwork. If any artwork if not picked up by September 1, all left artwork will be put up for sale at our FestivALL Kids’ Art Sale as a fundraiser for our Neighborhood Art Program and FestivALL’s children’s art efforts at the September ArtWalk.
Special provisions for targeted after school programs:
As part of the FestivALL Neighborhood Arts Program and the Children’s Art Fair and Children’s Art Sale, FestivALL provides for art teachers to work with selected children in targeted after school programs in Charleston. Art-for-ALL has invited especially gifted artists who are mentored through this program to exhibit their art, limited to one piece per child. This work will be accepted into the exhibit outside of the jurying process. However, the jury will consider it equally with the other submissions for any awards.
Work produced through class assignments:
In past years, Art-for-ALL has juried in similar work by a number of children who were following class assignments that resulted in minimal differences between the pieces. We ask that, in these situations, the teacher select just one piece from that particular type of assignment to submit. We still encourage all children to submit a piece, if they are interested. However, we ask that these pieces represent a variety of assignments and/or the original work of the child outside of a particular assignment. The jurors are more interested in seeing the free expressions of each child’s voice and creativity than the application of particular artistic techniques. Many of the works that have been awarded top honors have been done in this spirit, both in the classroom and outside of the school setting.
- -Information on FestivALL Charleston is available at www.festivallcharleston.com.
- -Information on the Clay Center is available at www.theclaycenter.org.
- -For questions about Art-for-ALL or other FestivALL events, contact Mallory Burka, coordinator of Art-for-ALL, at email@example.com or 304-881-2667.
Sponsors: Art-for-ALL is sponsored by the Elliot Family Foundation, The Clay Center, and Allied Artists of West Virginia. Special awards are complements of the Owens Fellowship Fund. Refreshments for the reception and awards ceremony are provided by the Embassy Suites by Hilton.