Art-for-FALL: FestivALL’s Virtual Teen Art Exhibition
October 10 - October 17
The purpose of the exhibition is to provide a forum for student artists to display their work and to recognize excellence. A slide show of accepted works will be displayed on the FestivALL Charleston’s Neighborhood Arts Initiative Facebook Page on October 10-17.
This year, we wanted to make sure that we provided an opportunity for an older group of students to exhibit their artwork with a teen version of our summer Art-for-ALL Kids’ Juried Art Exhibition.
Jurying for Art-for-FALL is open to all student in grades 7th through 12th grade in Boone, Braxton, Cabell, Clay, Fayette, Greenbrier, Jackson, Kanawha, Lincoln, Nicholas, Putnam, Raleigh and Roane counties. Each student may submit one entry. Students may also go together to submit a single piece, this means that they can only submit either one individually made piece OR one group piece. Work needs to have been completed after January 1, 2019. Artwork can be completed from a school project OR be made at home.
Entries must be original works in the following categories:
–2-D, including painting, drawing, photography, collage, mixed media, printing, and graphic arts
–3-D, including sculpture, pottery, woodcrafts, glass, jewelry, textiles, mixed media, and constructions with recycled materials
–Video, with a maximum of five minutes per video submitted
- Submit work by October 2, 2020.
- Use a jpeg file no larger than 10 MB (generally any automatic photo size will work) in your upload to show the work of art. Photographs taken should be higher quality (cropped, bright, easily visible, etc.). This picture will be posted on the FestivALL Facebook Page. This picture is also for the jury to be able to look at all the work for awards in order to place awards.
- In the application form, you will be asked to include an image file of the artwork, the full name of the student, grade in which they created the artwork, name of school/program that they attend or indicate if home-schooled, the name of the parent/guardian or teacher submitting the work, email address, telephone number, and postal address. (If, for some reason, the Google Form does not work for you, then please send ALL of this above information in an email to [email protected] with the student’s name and the school/program name as the subject header.)
- Please double check spelling of names!
- Note that by submitting the work, the student and parent(s) agree to its inclusion in the slide show and the exhibition and to its use in promotional materials. The name and school of the student will be included unless other arrangements are made with the school/program and/or producer of the art fairs.
- Work that is accepted for the exhibition, if applicable, may require a copy of a permission slip signed by the student(s) and the parent(s) and kept on file by the school or program, unless the parent submits the piece directly. Please check with the school for their procedures.
Selection of Work:
A jury consisting of the exhibition’s producer and local artists will meet the first week of June to select work for the exhibition. By October 6, 2020, all applicants will be sent an email notifying them if their work is selected.
*Please submit work ahead of October 2, whenever possible.*
1st Place 7th-9th Grade Category – Michael’s Gift Card
2nd Place 7th-9th Grade Category
3rd Place 7th-9th Grade Category
1st Place 10th-12th Grade Category – Michael’s Gift Card
2nd Place 10th-12th Grade Category
3rd Place 10th-12th Grade Category
Charleston Town Center Emerging Artist Award – Charleston Town Center Gift Card
Facebook People’s Choice Award – Michael’s Gift Card
The Art-for-FALL Awards ceremony will be a video posted via FestivALL’s YouTube Channel on Saturday, October 17, 2020 at 12pm. Please keep an eye out on the FestivALL Neighborhood Arts Initiative Facebook Page for more info about the ceremony. Digital participation certificates will be emailed to the submitter’s email address or, if requested, mailed a physical version.
Work produced through class assignments:
In past years, Art-for-ALL has juried in similar work by a number of students who were following class assignments that resulted in minimal differences between the pieces. We ask that, in these situations, the teacher select just one piece from that particular type of assignment to submit.
We still encourage all students to submit a piece, if they are interested. However, we ask that these pieces represent a variety of assignments and/or the original work of the student outside of a particular assignment.
The jurors are more interested in seeing the free expressions of each student’s voice and creativity than the application of particular artistic techniques. Many of the works that have been awarded top honors have been done in this spirit, both in the classroom and outside of the school setting.
-Information on FestivALL Charleston is available at www.festivallcharleston.com.
-For questions about Art-for-FALL or other FestivALL events, contact Mallory Burka, coordinator of Art-for-ALL and Art-for-FALL, at [email protected] or call/text my cell at 304-881-2667.
Have a few minutes to help us out? We’d love to hear from you! Take our survey below – and of course want to hear more about any event ideas and what you’d like to see at future FestivALL events!