Art-for-ALL Kids’ Juried Art Exhibition
June 14-28, 2020
The purpose of the exhibition is to provide a forum for student artists to display their work and to recognize excellence. A slide show of accepted works will be displayed on the Facebook page of FestivALL Charleston on June 14-28.
Jurying for Art-for-ALL is open to all children in grades pre-K through 6th grade in Boone, Braxton, Cabell, Clay, Fayette, Greenbrier, Jackson, Kanawha, Lincoln, Nicholas, Putnam, Raleigh and Roane counties. Each child may submit one entry. Children may also go together to submit a single piece, this means that a child can only submit either one individually made piece OR one group piece. Work needs to have been completed after January 1, 2019. Artwork can be completed from a school project OR be made at home.
Entries must be original works in the following categories:
–2-D, including painting, drawing, photography, collage, mixed media, printing, and graphic arts
–3-D, including sculpture, pottery, woodcrafts, glass, jewelry, textiles, mixed media, and constructions with recycled materials
–Video, with a maximum of five minutes per video submitted
- Submit work by May 29, 2020.
- Use a jpeg file no larger than 10 MB (generally any automatic photo size will work) in your upload to show the work of art. Photographs taken should be higher quality (cropped, bright, easily visible, etc.). This picture will be posted on the FestivALL Facebook Page. This picture is also for the jury to be able to look at all the work for awards in order to place awards.
- In the application form, you will be asked to include an image file of the artwork, the full name of the child, grade of the child in which they created the artwork, name of school/program that the child attends or indicate if home-schooled, the name of the parent/guardian or teacher submitting the work, email address, telephone number, and postal address. (If, for some reason, the Google Form does not work for you, then please send ALL of this above information in an email to [email protected] with the child’s name and the school/program name as the subject header.)
- Please double check spelling of names!
- Note that by submitting the work, the child and parent(s) agree to its inclusion in the slide show and the exhibition and to its use in promotional materials. The name and school of the child will be included unless other arrangements are made with the school/program and/or producer of the art fairs.
- Work that is accepted for the exhibition, if applicable, may require a copy of a permission slip signed by the child and the parent(s) and kept on file by the school or program, unless the parent submits the piece directly. Please check with the school for their procedures.
Selection of Work:
A jury consisting of the exhibition’s producer and local artists will meet the first week of June to select work for the exhibition. By June 5, 2020, all applicants will be sent an email notifying them if their work is selected.
*Please submit work ahead of May 29, whenever possible.*
1st Place PreK-2nd Grade – Michael’s Gift Card
2nd Place PreK-2nd Grade
3rd Place PreK-2nd grade
1st Place 3rd-6th Grade – Michael’s Gift Card
2nd Place 3rd-6th Grade
3rd Place 3rd-6th Grade
Facebook People’s Choice Award – Michael’s Gift Card
The Art-for-ALL Awards ceremony will be a video posted via Facebook on Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 5pm. Please keep an eye out on the FestivALL Facebook Page for more info about the ceremony. Digital participation certificates will be emailed to the submitter’s email address or, if requested, mailed a physical version.
Special provisions for targeted after school programs:
As part of the FestivALL Neighborhood Arts Program and the Children’s Art Fair and Children’s Art Sale, FestivALL provides for art teachers to work with selected children in targeted after school programs in Charleston. Art-for-ALL has invited especially gifted artists who are mentored through this program to exhibit their art, limited to one piece per child. This work will be accepted into the exhibit outside of the jurying process. However, the jury will consider it equally with the other submissions for any awards.
Work produced through class assignments:
In past years, Art-for-ALL has juried in similar work by a number of children who were following class assignments that resulted in minimal differences between the pieces. We ask that, in these situations, the teacher select just one piece from that particular type of assignment to submit.
We still encourage all children to submit a piece, if they are interested. However, we ask that these pieces represent a variety of assignments and/or the original work of the child outside of a particular assignment.
The jurors are more interested in seeing the free expressions of each child’s voice and creativity than the application of particular artistic techniques. Many of the works that have been awarded top honors have been done in this spirit, both in the classroom and outside of the school setting.
-For questions about Art-for-ALL or other FestivALL events, contact Mallory Burka, coordinator of Art-for-ALL, at [email protected] or call 304-470-0489.